Old 01-14-22, 02:00 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
And you're the EXACT PERFECT example of the problem. I'm sorry to hear this happened. But again, why should you feel obligated to "check everything" on your purchase? Sure, it would be prudent as a bike person, but not in any way expected. Say you had checked the handlebars and front wheel and pedals, but failed to check the rear wheel and your son crashed? Would you blame yourself then? Or if the rear derailleur shifted into the spokes and you failed to check THAT? Of course not!

You shouldn't have felt bad then. No consumer should feel compelled to "check everything" on a product before using it. Did you check your stereo's power amplifier before turning it on? No. Does the car buyer check all the wheels before driving off the lot? Of course not!

(And no, I am NOT relieving the consumer of common sense, all responsibility, or the need to be familiar with the product their using and to be able to judge if they can use it safely. Nor am I relieving them of responsibility of having their stuff checked after a crash or mishap or other misadventure. But when a product is presented to the consumer, it should be safe to use as intended, that's all.)

So this is why this campaign makes so much sense.
Nope.
A person buying a cheap car should take a test drive and should do a safety check.
A person buying a bicycle for their child should also do a few minutes of research. Anyone that does so will quickly find out that Walmart/big box bicycles need to be safety checked.
Google ‘are Walmart bicycles safe’ and you will get your answer.
Why expect todays parents to be responsible enough to do this though when they aren’t responsible enough to pay off their student loans

Last edited by downhillmaster; 01-14-22 at 02:11 AM.