View Single Post
Old 01-14-22, 11:37 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1989 Davidson Impulse - 1985 Trek 620 - 1982 Trek 728 - 2014 Trek FX 7.3 - 1989 Trek 420 - 2008 Trek 1.5 - 1986 Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked 1,283 Times in 677 Posts
Old and/or original three piece BBs on medium and low end bikes are the worst to deal with because their owners often don't take care of them. Nearly 40 years down the road, we get the gift of it being seized. [This is not to say that highly desirable bikes don't also suffer that fate. They do, and the stakes are considerably higher if failure or damage is incurred] As that is the non drive side cup, the protruding threads are there to accommodate a lock ring (that isn't present--don't know if it came like that to you). There is a specific spanner that properly interfaces with that cup's slots. You could certainly search online or see if a shop has it. If you haven't run some PB Blaster or other penetrating lubricant (aka not WD-40, but if it's all ya got, it's free to try) and let it sit for a day or two, you could give that a shot. Now, if you don't really have a place to work on your bike that lets those fumes and smells properly ventilate, that makes it tricky.

The 'sandwich' methods of gently clamping/holding the tool to the BB cup with big washers etc (for me it's washers and a left side crank arm) works beautifully, as does (if possible/not harming non-aero routed brake cables) flipping the bike upside down and putting it on the ground. For heavy BB work like this, I always put the bike on the ground (rubber side down), that way any gorilla-level efforts (usually in the downward direction) are naturally dealt with by the bike (like a rider's weight or pedaling force). When it's on the stand, one can bend and/or crimp the tubing if one is really going to town. It's also not as solid, so you can't really lean on it or hit with your weight or any tools without risking damage. Upside down and on the ground gets you stability, and a whole bunch of tubes not in your way. I've done this for recalcitrant pedal removal as well.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: