Old 01-15-22, 12:16 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
How did they get the bars in in the first place? Something isnít adding up here.
You got that right! Maybe they bent the bars to shape from straight stock after passing through the stem?

Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
I would say, you NEED to have the ID of the stem handlbar mounting bore and the center of the handlebar OD match.
Micrometer says about 24.7mm inside diameter. How do I know? Because...

Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Bent handlebar? Deep scoring at one of the bends? In retrospect I'd ditch that handlebar and get something else that I could be sure wouldn't fail in use.
Upon reflection, I decided that's correct. So, to possibly save the stem, I hacksawed the bars to release the stem. So, my WTB 1.0 is to find bars to fit, my WTB 2.0 would be bars and a stem. Unsure what bars fit a 24.7mm hole.

Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Yes, that was a pretty common English handlebar standard, as 23.8mm is the metric equivalentt of 15/16". I've seen lots of English bars that used a shim to accommodate the stem. My only shim advice is to to not build up the shim with several pieces of stock. Use a single piece of the correct thickness. The more layers between the bar and stem, the greater the chance of slippage.
Presuming I found some 23.8's, to fit a 24.7mm stem means 0.45mm shim. AM i calculating that right at 17.72 1000th's of an inch thick? Less any desired clearance, if indeed any is desired (I'm going through a "clearance crisis" on a seat post now at the same time).