View Single Post
Old 01-15-22, 09:40 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 PeugeotPX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 513 Posts
Between a house renovation gone sideways and a major product release at work I need a project to keep me sane. I started with stripping down the Falcon I got in the fall, thinking I’d tidy it up and be ready for some period-correct fun in the spring. I determined that there was more work to be done on the frame surfaces than I thought. Paint isn’t original so I’ve filed that away for the warmer weather when I intend to strip, treat the rusty bits, prime and repaint. I’m thinking of going the spray.bike route for that, and the upstate house has a shed that will make a great spray booth.

So I’ll turn my attention to the Grand Jubile mixte. When I got it there was evidence of some knocks, but not those of a crash: there’s a small bend in the chain stay above the brake bridge and it looks like a steel rimmed rear wheel from a Mirage was swapped in, but it didn’t present any major weirdness on a short checkout ride and the price was lower that I could get for the Jubilee changers and Stronglight 49 so I figured I wouldn’t be out anything and I’d work with it. First order of business was securing a set of sympathetic 700c wheels from our friend recarcar. Nothing better than taking the Subway to Brooklyn to pick up bike parts! In swapping the wheels it’s clear that the forks are out of alignment, the dropouts are too close together. Thinking about the wheel, chainstay and fork spacing I’m wondering if it got backed into in a garage or such like. I’m going to measure it up and see what’s to be done. I have a sense that I think I can bring it back, and I hope so because I want to have fun polishing up all those nice French bits!

Likes For ascherer: