Old 02-28-06, 11:28 PM
ReptilesBlade 

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7500 Multitrack, 1985 Roadmaster Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Wow Before anyone makes anymore ethanol based jokes please go back to post 11 and read this mans' medical history. If he got dizzy it is as likely to be a sodium imbalance as well as moonshine ( which would probably kill him).

Friend start keeping a very detailed log of where you ride, what the route was like, weather conditions, what you have eaten recently . . . Your riding is therapy that you can stick with so your doctors/therapists should advise you on your cycling. The last person I met like you was an insulin-dependent diabetic training for RAAM. BF has a training forum. Would be a good place for you to hang out.
Actually before the ethanol jokes get any further out of hand just let me say this: when I mention a glass of wine once a week at most I am referring to no larger than an 8 oz serving. I often go weeks or even a couple of months without a drink and could not care less about it. Anything stronger such as beer or anything else I cannot even stand the smell/taste of and I have poured out or given away many bottles of wine that were stronger than anticipated when first bought or had a flavor I did not enjoy. For me it is a rare enjoyment if I choose to take it, nothing more.

The dizziness during the later parts of the ride and briefly upon returning home were most likely brought on by a few different factors.

1. My heart operates at about one third of what a normal one would and my lungs at best at one half.

2. This was the first ride outside since the cold started about two months ago.

3. I elected to do some exploring during the ride and that added at least two large hills more than a normal fitness ride would entail.

4. I kind of pushed myself a bit during the ride because I wanted to get an accurate gauge of my physical condition after so long of a period without biking outdoors. I have been doing Tai Chi, light aerobics, and stationary rides when I can get them to try and ease back into it for the past month and I wanted to see how much performance I had lost if any. The answer was about a 15-20% drop in performance, which will change fast.

Actually my doctors have almost been screaming with joy at the progress I have made and endorse my activities completely. They have never even mentioned any kind of limitations beyond no hills and a few common sense things if I were to ever try to tour. Beyond that they are saying go for it. It might help that my main doctor is also a cyclist as well, at the very least a recreational one.

As for the detailed log I could put it in my intro topic or any place else the other members of the site might feel it would be most appropriate. It is something I have considered doing for a long time now. If you want I intend to take another ride tomorrow and since my 7500 is a commuter anyway it would be easy to take my digital camera along and take pictures for you guys of some of my most favorite rides and routes. I cannot do all of them, that would be an easy 15+ mile ride and I am not able to do that yet but I could have pictures of at least a 3-6 mile ride if the weather is as nice as I am being told it will be here.

I first came across something like this that a Harley Davidson motorcycle rider did on another forum long ago. Even though the site no longer exists I would be happy to emulate what I saw there at least on an irregular basis for you guys. Honestly if what I do brings positive encouragement to anyone else then it would be worth it to me.

Last edited by ReptilesBlade; 02-28-06 at 11:39 PM.