View Single Post
Old 01-19-22, 05:02 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Reading all this, I think the OP should scrap the mix and match idea and concentrate on compatibility and cost. To me, OP should look towards Microshift Advent (9S) or Advent X (10s) with road shifter and clutched RD... Microshift cassette have plenty of range too.
I agree, and I suggest staying 9-speed where all road and MT components are compatible. That makes it easy and reliable. Get a Deore long cage 9 speed RD and whatever shifters you like. 9-speed gaps are quite reasonable, and 9-speed is a common touring group where small steps are needed as well as durability. That will keep costs down and deliver a reasonable performance balance. And you will not rack your brain trying to figure out what works with what; that is a big plus for someone starting out. 9-speed group with a long cage rear derailleur and you can pretty much be assured everything will work together (as long as you get your chain length right).
Likes For dwmckee: