Thread: 2022
View Single Post
Old 01-22-22, 09:39 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2022 tour plans

Three years ago, I turned 62 and planned a long semi-retirement bike tour. But my dad was still living at that time, suffering dementia, and it was getting worse. I had to help out with him. Then I needed two root canals. The final "nail in the coffin", was had a grand baby due end of summer. I decided ot postpone til 2020..
Then covid hit. Dad had to be put in a nursing home, and died later that year.
I began 2021 with covid, and ended up in the hospital. I felt tired much of the year, and ended up gaining 40 pounds. I biked a pathetic less than 350 miles.
I've gotten out of shape, but am determined to do some sort of tour in 2022. I told my wife (she's very supportive of my tour plans), that I was going to take a tour this year, even if it wasn't more than a 30 mile ride, stay in a motel, and ride back home the next day. For me, the hardest part of any bike ride, is just getting started. Ideally, I'll do that one day ride, then get up the next morning and keep going. I want to start at our door step, of our home in NW Arkansas.
For a long time, my goal has been to ride from my doorstep, to a beach, possibly Galveston, TX.