Old 01-24-22, 12:15 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by rickster1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and was wondering are carbon road frames really worth the extra cost (sometimes as much as $1400 more)? I'm looking to buy my first road bike and after digging around I guess I'm looking of either 105 or Tiagra components, I have test rode Trek's Domane AL5 and SL5, Emonda SL5 and ALR5 as well as the Specialized Roubaix (I'm open to other brands and models).

I know the Domane is classed as an endurance bike and understand the difference between that and the Emonda's but when I test rode them, I really didn't feel any difference between them. This will probably be my first and only road bike since I tend to keep my gear in good shape, I currently ride an older Trek 830 on the roads that I have swapped the tires out to more of a road type tire. I also have a full suspension MTB for the trails.

I'm having a hard time trying to justify the extra cost of carbon over aluminum. For those that have a Trek with the ISO system does it really make a difference in aiding in a smoother ride?

A little bit about me- I'm 53 and in average shape, I recently lost about 80 lbs this past year (gained some back over the holidays), did my first bike challenge for kids' cancer back in Oct. (rode 410 miles), mostly ride on surfaced trails and country roads, I ride about 35-40 miles each time I ride and average 14 MPH on the old Trek.

I appreciate any comments and recommends that you may have for me as I try to decide what to purchase.

My wife asked me why I need another bike? So, I said you need one for the different type of road material (dirt, crushed limestone, asphalt/concrete, etc.) but I don't think she's buying it

Thanks,

Rick

I would say that for the most part, frame material does not mater. Carbon is more expensive, because of demand. It is lighter but if you are a bigger dude, it might not make any difference. Another issue is that carbon bikes can be more fragile and if you are rough on your stuff, you could easily do damage without much thought.

Aluminum has a reputation of being harsh but honestly, I think that trait is over-rated.

Tires have a much bigger impact upon comfort, so I would always go bigger on tires and think tubeless if you are riding on rough or bad roads.

Last edited by vespasianus; 01-24-22 at 12:21 PM.