View Single Post
Old 01-24-22, 12:47 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
OK, here is the whole story. I work PT in a LBS and a women bought a Scott Contessa. She is someone we know as she had a Felt road bike but crashed it a few weeks ago. She brought the bike in yesterday saying it was making a noise. So I checked the cable tension on the RD and also checked and adjusted the FD. She road it and came back today saying it was still making "the noise". So I took off the spoke protector thinking maybe that was it and when I was checking the spoke tension I squeezed a few pair of spokes and she said'That's the noise!". So I went outside and jogged alongside of her while she rode. I hate jogging! And it did make a bit of noise. Not the noise of a newly built wheel where the nipples are seating themselves. So I had heard about using a drop of lube on each touching spoke,I know this is a short term fix. But I will see her on a ride Tuesday.
So that's the situation. I am open to advice.
This sounds like under-tensioned spokes. Lubing the spoke crossing will not fix this.