View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 05:36 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyoguy
I disagree with both the ignorant amateurs (your words not mine) and my sister on this belief the faster you lose it the faster you re-gain it. I was expecting there to be some professionals here either Drs, coaches and nutritionists, but I came here because I trust the opinion of a group of committed cyclists. My only problem with this thread is I came to ask about health concerns of rapid weight loss and this thread instantly became about keeping the weight off. The reason I disagree with the faster off faster on is this is a psychological issue not a physiological one, not all people are wired the same, have the same jobs, or family pressures.

I take full responsibility for my current weight and conditioning, I love good food and drink. So does my wife and as a professional chef she feeds us too well, I also cook and create lavish high calorie meals, I also like seconds and a 3rd or 4th beer most nights. I am also fairly motivated to work out and diet when needed but need to change the dynamics in the house. My wife cooked a home dry aged Ribeye Roast over the holidays and served me a 20 oz portion for lunch one day as much as I am a glutton I looked at that and said yuck and realized things needed to change.

My wife and I are both on this same diet/workout and she is now motivated to keep it off and has stuck to her workout as well. We are both looking forward to a skinnier summer when we are also in better shape. We will both have new bikes and have big adventures planned. Whether and how long we keep the weight off remains to be seen.

As for my sister's response to the health risk, she sees no concerns for me. "With a bad diet there is a chance of dehydration, and nutritional imbalance and a slight chance of gallbladder stones for too rapid weight loss."
I think the reason this thread quickly turned toward keeping the weight off is because that's exactly what the main "health issue" is when going on a crash diet. The first question to ask yourself here is why are you in such a hurry to lose all this weight so quickly? Does it really matter if it takes 3 months, 6 months or a year? Is it not better to think much longer term and make the lifestyle adjustments required? In your earlier post you already mentioned dealing with the lifestyle changes after losing the weight, but to me that's potentially setting you up for failure once your crash diet motivation inevitably starts to wane.

Your situation reminds me of my cousin who was getting married a few years ago. She went on a rapid weight loss plan with the aim of fitting into her dream wedding dress. She lost the weight no problem at all, fitted the dress, looked great, got married and then within a year she was back to her previous weight. What went wrong? No long term plan once she got down to her goal weight. she stopped the diet (which was unsustainable anyway) and went back more or less to her previous eating regime. It took a bit longer for the weight to go back on than it came off, but on it went nonetheless.