View Single Post
Old 01-27-22, 07:07 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB
Just curious what you found was not easy in maintaining the HY/RDs? Were you able to move the pistons in when replacing the pads?
I was new to disc brakes, so there was definitely some user error at first. Once I finally figured out how to set up and maintain them (Youtube was most helpful), I still found them finicky. After 10K+ miles, they just stopped being as responsive, and I was just tired of all the maintenance. I was able to move the pistons to change pads, but in time they became sluggish. Tried bleeding them, and it helped for a bit, but the final straw was when cold (10-15F) made them non-responsive. The cold left me with no rear brake and only a partial front brake. Probably (mostly) user error, I'll admit. The Spyres are so much easier to install, set up, and maintain. Yes, you have to manually dial in the pistons with a 3mm hex, but they just work.