View Single Post
Old 02-01-22, 05:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
Pearl Izumi wool socks under my regular cleats. They've been good down to about 30°F in the past, although not for this duration. Once it gets really cold, I'll pull on some booties from Galibier (no longer listed on their website). They're not very thick, but they're pretty warm on their own.
Hands, you are shifting, using brakes, it is easy to think about what conditions your hands are in so it is pretty easy to notice if your hands are getting into trouble. But feet, they are harder to really know what is going on down there when you are not used to dealing with cold weather. You should review the signs of frostbite ahead of time in case that becomes a concern.

There have been a few times when I put on my rain pants even though conditions were dry because the rain pants cut the wind and helped keep my feet warmer.

Do you have an insulated ear band or thin stocking cap that will fit under your helmet suspension?

Good luck.