Old 02-07-22, 09:46 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i mean, i assume something which was only capable of penetrating 1mm into the tire would blow out a tire with 1/2mm of rubber but not 2mm? perhaps it doesn't work like that?
Sure. But it's mainly the high tech fabric under the rubber that's supposed to stop the sharp bits.

i'm not a particularly strong rider - 200w-240w for two hours is sort of my standard ride. but i do wonder if a lot of extended climbing in the saddle wears the rear down fast, with even more weight on the rear tire vs the front than usual.
200-240 watts for the ride is well above average, I'm guessing.

I think almost every rider increases the effort considerably on climbs compared to flats. Even the casual pace cruising riders that I sometimes ride with.
And at some moderate grade, the watts have to increase anyway, or the rider will fall over from the very slow speeds. I'm thinking the tire wear from pedal force on the climbs outweighs the free, coasting downhill portions.

I was just thinking of a few riders I know that have loud tires sounds with each pedal stroke. Perhaps they have larger peak watts instead of a smoother pedal action, or more steering action with each left-right stroke. That noise is probably extra tire wear, too.