Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Hi all, seems I am right on the edge for sizing. I would test ride but these models are tough to find. There's one about 5 hours away I may get but am soliciting opinions.

I ride a 58 Cm Domane that fits me really well. I can also fit a 60 with a few adjustments.

Im a bit over 6'1 with about a 34.5 inch cycling inseam.

My old AF Giant Rainier MTB is a 19 inch frame that frankly feels too small. My LBS that sells Trek seemed to think I would be OK on an XL or L.

Opinions would be appreciated,. I am fairly naive to new mountain bike geometry and how it relates to fit. Im concerned an XL may have too much reach ? Or I could be clueless. My arms aren't crazy short or anything but got serious neck mobility issues so more compact is usually better for me in terms of reach.

What does the hive say ??
When you say the Rainier is too small, HOW was it too small? Not enough reach to the bars, too short, or both? Getting clear on this, and being able to identify what year it is so that geo numbers can be compared might be a useful guide. I say "might be" because MTB geo has changed radically over the past 5 years, and some of the key numbers are not really comparable.