Old 02-14-22, 10:08 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Frkl
There is a philosophical puzzle called the Ship of Theseus, named after an ancient Greek legend: Theseus goes sailing, and over time he and his crew replace every part of their ship, bit by bit. Is it the same ship?

Have you "Ship-of-Theseus'd" a bike? Do you consider it the same bike, or a different one? At what point does it become a different bike?
Not to be nit-picky but I'm gonna be, the ship was in dry dock in Athens when everything was replaced a piece at a time.

Originally Posted by holytrousers
A similar question arises when we consider the fact that our bodies' cells are completely regenerated every seven years. Are we still the same person ?
Yeah? So when is my body get around to it being the knees?

Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's not really a ship of Theseus situation until you have replaced all the parts and also had the frame repaired so many times that nothing is original.
Then I'm getting there. I've got a Giant Perigee, there is nothing original about the bike, the parts were upgraded to shimano 600 including the seatpost, the fork was replaced with a chrome cross fork changing the stem to threadless, a CK headset was installed at the same time, the brake bridge was replaced 20 years ago and when that was done canti tabs were added. After the seat stay failed 10 years ago the bike was repaired and repainted. So even the frame isn't very factory at this point.