View Single Post
Old 02-14-22, 10:33 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bt_bp
I’m looking for a framebuilder within the continental USA. Looking to have an all road bike built around a 26”/650b platform. I am 5’0” so I’d like a builder who is familiar with creating something for the vertically challenged. Steel frame (maybe a bit nicer than 4130). I can spend up to $3k though $1.5-$2k range is preferable.
Hello and welcome!
I'm with Andy in terms of size - 5'6" but short legs and long torso exacerbating any normal size bikes. A 56cm 'square' frame (56/56 st/tt) leaves me on my tippy toes when stopped but with a 140-150mm stem.
Twenty years ago I got a custom road frame and looked at all sorts of things. I chose to go with Bernie Mikkelsen in the bay area. Bernie wasn't significantly more special than any of the other builders I looked at (steel / tig or steel/brazed) though quite capable. However, Bernie had built an adjustable bike that was rideable. I was/is in Oregon at the time and took at day flight to SFO and drove over to him. He setup the bike and to match the ride I had at the time and I took it around a large parking lot to confirm it was similar. Then he started changing things. Primarily we lowered the top tube and extended the top tube so I could both stand over and get stretched out. We also messed with angles and bb height and such. But, just getting a lower tt and a longer tt felt SO MUCH better that nothing else really seemed to matter to me (within reason) So before you discuss much with a custom builder, get a real fitting with somebody who will listen to your issues/preferences just to set some overall geometry. (if you care I ended up needing a 48cm size seat tube with a 60cm top tube in a 'classic' non-sloping design)

Two decisions I made on that frame - 1 1/8" steerer tube and 650c wheels. Unlike Andy's comment, I'm really happy to have the 1 1/8" steerer as finding current parts is much easier than dealing with 1". I'm less excited about the 650c wheels. I thought that having smaller wheels would make standover easier as well as packing for travel. (it is an S&S coupled frame) Turns out the smaller wheels didn't help packing much and maybe hurt it. (spokes seemed to be more dense in the case making less ease for fitting the puzzle together) And, twenty years later, 650c wheels have not aged well. My tire and rim choice is extremely limited. While I am certainly an advocate of utilizing wheels that help the geometry, be prepared for the longer-term downside of potentially getting pushed out of tires/rims in the future. 650b MTB tires will be plentiful for a long time. Slick 650b tires might be less available?

I think this forum is a really good example of *most* frame builders:
1) they are generally interested in helping you and are friendly
2) they are generally capable
3) they always have opinions

If you want the bling of a well known 'brand' and a good solid reputation, there are a number around that will help you. Many have long waits right now. (1+ year?)
If you want something more quickly / inexpensively, you might be able to find a frame builder who is just starting and willing to take on your specific challenges.
I would visit and meet with either type. In the premium space you will just enjoy the process. In the 'new' choice you will either gain or lose confidence.

good luck!
simon

(Picture of the weirdly shaped Mikkelsen after a nasty PNW ride)

Last edited by sdodd; 02-14-22 at 10:55 AM.