Old 02-19-22, 06:36 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
I would bike fit immediately and see no reason to wait. Ideally while there is still time to swap out the bike if the shop/brand has a grace period.

Any expert observation of your position on the bike will show issues you are not aware of and I would not wait for injuries to amount over time or bad movement habits to form. It's not like you need to settle into a position for a bike physio to observe issues.

When I bought my first road bike I was sold a frame size based on my height, however, with shorter legs and a longer torso with very good hip flexibility, the bike fit resulted in me swapping the bike for a size smaller frame (for a more appropriate seat height, the larger frame seat would not go low enough for perfection), and then we put on a longer stem with aggressive angle and no spacers.

Left to my own devices and some 'general' fit tips, I would be stuck with

- the wrong size frame based on a table / sales person judgment purely based on height

- a seat that is too high and not positioned ideally, based on common seat height finding techniques

- handelbars that are too high because I would not have slammed it thinking that was too extreme because I was not aware of my above average flexibility

That initial setup felt 'fine' to me, but the smaller frame with the longer slammed stem and a seat position that enables my knees to move in a much more fluid way was a step up in comfort that I could immediately appreciate. Now the bike fits like a glove in a setup that is very different from what I would have arrived at myself through trial and error. As a bonus, you will also have precise laser measurements to transfer to any future bike.

Also, bike fit is very fluid with variables influencing each other...change your cleat position and you gotta change your seat height, impacting your ideal handlebar height, and so on. Constant tweaking trying to sort out one thing will throw off another thing. Best to get outside observation.

Last edited by yaw; 02-19-22 at 06:39 PM.