View Single Post
Old 02-26-22, 11:50 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by FoldingSpace
Striking but somewhat poorly illustrative before and after shots of my Tern Eclipse P20 ludicrous upgrade spree. My company pays us a once per year fitness benefit if you don't use the free gym perk - taxable but still free money and a use-it-or-lose it benefit. I used last year's to buy a second Eclipse P20 even though I really wanted the "X22 Blackbird" with its Ultegra groupset and other upgrades. But that's Carbon roadbike money and I also didn't want to spend much of my own money on it.

So this year, I took the money and upgraded the second Eclipse P20 to near-as-damnit X22 Blackbird spec - in one or two cases, better than! So now I have the most confusing looking bike in Seattle - a mutant hybrid of Ultegra, 105 (crank) and at least one Dura Ace part because they were out of the Ultegra version - all on a weird looking bike that a lot of weekend Armstrongs think is an eBike because it's overtaking them on a hill.

It's dumb but I love it. I switched to cork Ergo grips and a few other little upgrades here and there.

Before

After
I wouldn't have done it any other way! Sounds kinda similar to what I did with the Hemingway above: After a pair of new tires on new bike day; better (and expensive) things started finding their way onto the bike; Bontrager grips, Litepro seat post for better geometry and handling, a sportier saddle off of mu brother-in-law's Launch, and finally, a full upgrade to Shimano pre-assembled hydraulic brakes with BL-MT401 alloy levers and BR-MT420 four-piston calipers, along with a 170mm Shimano rotor up front and a 165mm Avid rotor out back. I mean yeah, the added cost om top of the basic price of the bike possibly would've got me a nice Mu LX or a very decent Verge (or even a Birdy that I could probably pick up locally,) but where's the fun in that?
Likes For sjanzeir: