Old 03-03-22, 09:33 AM
Santuri32

Bikes: Some 80s MTBs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Darme
Pretty sure nobody change anything on the bike I didn’t know about since I am the only one that has ever worked ok it …… worked as a bike mechanic for about 12 years and also am a master wheel builder …
Did you raced for a particular Team? The Shimano August 1986 catalog does not mention the XT-730 groupset that first appears in a Catalog in November 1986...you said you ordered the bike 1985/86 do you remember when you took possession of it? I have a mid-year 1986 Montare (May '86), that has the rear XT-730 U brake, shift levers and RD, the bike was either upgraded to these parts or was assembled late (my earliest 730 component is from November '86.

Its great you don't have any issues in that beautiful frame. Two differences between the OPs 1985 bike and yours are his doesn't has the beveled (machined) lower lip of the seat tube reinforcement and that either yours is missing one or they just placed a single seat tube NORBA decal. Now that I see your bike well, its the only 1986 Competition I've seen. Thanks for sharing detailed photos.