View Single Post
Old 03-03-22, 06:07 PM
mclewis1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I agree that you'll probably be fine with your initial choice as long as you're aware of the potential issues (which we've now discussed at length in this thread).

In my case I went with a bit more expensive setup. I bought a front hub SX1 ready to run kit (hub motor in a built up 27.5" rim) from Grin Technologies in Vancouver BC. I added a 52v 750w downtube battery (using premium Panasonic 21700 cells), and integrated (in the battery case) BaseRunner controller. I ended up paying about the same for the kit as I did for the bike (I had just found a brand new Bridge Club in my size in a local shop). So all in (new bike, kit, battery) I paid just over $3k CAD ... and by the time I was finished (fenders, studded winter tires, Luna advanced charger, etc.) it was closer to $4k CAD. (1$ CAD is about .59 pound Sterling)

I did pay more than if I had ordered similar technology off of Ali or Amazon but for the extra I got what I think was a better quality motor (with the temp sensor) and wheel build, a better quality battery, a highly configurable setup (because of the Cycle Analyst display), and local (within Canada) shipping and support. While I did pay more I also learned a lot and ended up getting a second similar kit (this time a rear hub setup and without the battery) for a road bike a year later.

Last edited by mclewis1; 03-03-22 at 06:11 PM.