View Single Post
Old 03-06-22, 06:20 AM
le bici di jaco
SAARF WAS WRONG!

Bikes: Colnago: Supers '79/'80, '81, '89 (Piu), '91/'92 (Piu); Mexico '82/'83. Basso "Gap" '84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
[/i]

Pretty sure this was a Tecnotrat in house tubeset by Falck/Mannesmann
I had contacted the owner of this Zuliani frame to see if it was for sale. It was my size, an odd brand (never heard of it before), and had the odd spiral tubing on the main tubes. He said he had been unable to find any actual direct information regarding the history of the make, other than a possible connection to an old (1950s) Italian racer; and no evidence as to the tube manufacturer other than the Oria decals on the frame when he got it. He didn't assume that the decals were correct, but had checked that the paint was original as best as could be determined. No bike brand decals remained, only the tubing decals. He figured it was at least butted/double butted due to its weight.

Seat post is 27.2mm. It could be Oria ML 25 given those seat tubes are .07mm wall thickness and is straight gauge as previously mentioned by verktyg; but there is no mention of grooves (external) or ribs (internal) for that type. If the 'RANF' tubes have straight internal reinforcement 'ribs' as previously mentioned being similar to Columbus SLX/SPX, TSX then there should be visible evidence to comfirm it, but why then the helical grooves if they were also intended for reinforcement/stiffening. The GM 0.0 has the external ridges so it not that type. I can't remember where I saw the same helical tubing on a Ciöcc or Conti frames (can't recall any decals), the owner of the frame in question also gives reference to what I presume are the same examples I saw so at least I know I wasn't dreaming it. I don't imagine Ciöcc/Conti (Conti and Ciöcc were the same company during that era) using low quality tubing so it gives credeence to this odd frame being of decent quality itself. Given the seat post diameter, and if it is Oria, I would assume it is a specially shaped tube set of ML 25, or as pure speculation possibly modified RANF or GM 0.0 types. I hadn't asked if there is any evidence of internal ribs, but I will do that if the owner is so inclined to check for me.

Sorry, site won't let me add photos; the reason I left. Anyways, thanks for the info and that interesting frame example with the crossing helical pattern which is different from the frame I'm looking at.
I'll post a link to that frame (Zuliani) when I get a chance.

Last edited by le bici di jaco; 03-06-22 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Grammatical