View Single Post
Old 03-07-22, 01:18 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
I'm a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, at least until the end of June. Not many M5 screws to deal with during my workday. Bike wrenching is therapy.

A couple years ago, I did work weekends in a local shop because the owner knew of my experience on older bikes, especially SA hubs. I also have a background in modern IG hubs. Don't like them, but I can work on them. Could I keep up with the shop lead? No way. Work on a several thousand dollar full suspension mountain bike? Certainly, but I won't be fast. Diagnose a problem with a bike with E-shift. Maybe, but I'd rather slam my hand, repeatedly, in a car door. Because the shop lead and other wrenches were younger than my kids, they'd ask me about an older bike they'd be working on and I'd defer to them on the new stuff.

After closing time, splitting a 12 pack with the boss and the youngsters on the back steps was about the best part of the day.