Thread: 1UP racks
View Single Post
Old 03-08-22, 06:21 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Compared to the Kuats and Thules I was looking at and handling(last year), the 1UP was actually quite a bit less expensive and a better build quality. The 1UP hitch connection is more secure as it uses a somewhat standard locking hitch pin(included). Thule uses a binding-friction type connection. The racks have been stolen by attaching a tow strap to the rack and another car yanks it out of the hitch(happened to at least one BF member I know of). Kuat (some models?) uses a pin too I think.

While I agree that bike carriers in general are a bit nuts with cost, in the end it's was a no-brainer decision for me. The 1UP isn't really a direct comparison to the other racks..totally different materials-construction approach. It's made in a machine shop out of aluminum..and that's about it. Compared to other options, and given what you actually get, the 1UP isn't a bad deal. At times, 1UP will have a waiting list as keeping up with demand (apparently) has been a challenge.

If it matters, the 1UP is shipped fully assembled and folded up into a small-ish box. Unfolding it and mounting it is about a 5 minute job. It also folds back up into a small footprint for off-season storage.

Some carriers cost less, some cost more..depends what you want/value.
Likes For fishboat: