Old 03-15-22, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,852 Times in 6,069 Posts
I haven't done a test ride on any of the C&V bikes I've bought, but then they were all under $500 and I could tell by looking at them and measuring whether or not they'd fit, and since the first thing I'd be doing to them was tearing them down and rebuilding them, how well they were working at that moment is pretty much moot. Hell, one of them had a tire - possibly the ORIGINAL tire from 1982 - where the bead had popped off the rim!

Often C&V bikes are just pulled out of a garage and the tires inflated a bit. Owners might or might not check the brakes and shifting, and in the case of all but one of the C&V bikes I've bought in the last couple years, I wouldn't trust the bike to go and stop properly before I'd worked on it, and this incident highlights why.

In this case, if you want the bike, and the price is affordable for you, I'd just pay it. As my wife says, "Tuition in the school of life."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: