View Single Post
Old 03-22-22, 07:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
depending on the size of your derailleur, a 1.25 or 1.5-liter plastic pop bottle can easily be surgically sliced so's you can slip it over the component in question and ducky tape or zippy-tie it securely to the chainstay for a bit more protection.
When I bought my road bike, it came in the factory carton packed at the factory. Derailleur was attached to the frame (steel, no separate hanger), there was a plastic fitting attached at the skewer that stuck out further than the derailler did, so an impact from the side on the box would hit the plastic spacer instead of the derailleur.

Not the best photo, this was cropped from a much larger photo, but you get the idea. Photo was from when the bike was pulled out of the carton, but packing materials not yet removed.

If I was going to transport a bike on a plane, if for some reason I decided not to remove the derailleur from the hanger, I would see if any bike shops had any of these that they had not yet discarded.