Old 03-23-22, 02:27 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Hiplock's deceiving video.
That Hiplock looks like it's pretty hard to cut. But look closely. The disc cuts in partway, then suddenly wears down very fast, with clouds of dust. They are twisting the grinder so that the disc wears down on the sides, not just the edge. Then the replacement discs are handled the same way.

I'm guessing it's about 60 seconds to make one cut. That's still a long time, with lots of noise. Does it require a second cut to pull the bike free? I don't know.
Try a diamond blade instead of the inexpensive cutoff wheels.
Yeah, the manuf isn't exactly an impartial testing source.

I watched some other videos and they were able to get through the lock but needed 2-3 or more discs to manage it. They don't seem to be up to shenanigans and they seem to go through the discs FAR faster than I ever do with my cutoff wheels. Still, I'm not familiar with the other youtube folks so maybe they're all cahoots with hiplock as well, I don't know.

In the end it of course isn't proof against angle grinders, but it does appear to be more resistant.

The other part nobody talks about is how quickly the angle grinder can go through whatever the bike's attached to...

Edited - I'd linked the videos but didn't realize they've be parsed.

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-23-22 at 02:39 PM.