Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Pretty much all that you mention above are mostly subconscious actions for me. I did a fairly challenging timed century ride on Sunday and the only thing that I consciously noticed about my bike was a little bit of excessive drivetrain noise in the lowest rear gear (like maybe the low limit screw was slightly too tight). Apart from that niggle, my bike was pretty much invisible in a positive way, like an extension of my body. Leaving me to concentrate on pacing, hydration, fuelling and the group dynamics. There was one guy flapping about erratically in the group I was riding with, that I consciously kept away from! Some of the road surfaces were very poor, so that was on my conscious mind at times too. But not really the bike itself.

I think a lot comes down to what is conscious thought vs subconscious auto pilot? Most of the bike interaction happens subconsciously as it does with driving. That's one of the reasons why learning to ride or drive is difficult from scratch as everything has to be learnt consciously, which is a much slower process. Once an action becomes subconscious it is effectively performed automatically with a much faster and precise reaction. Like your example of cornering on the bike. I would think all that happens subconsciously in the moment. Or are you really thinking about all those individual factors in real time? I would bet not.
I try to, but of course usually one thing at a time. I don't care for conscious and subconscious, too easy to misunderstand, see Freud. I'd rather say mindful and mindless. Holding a line is mindful, avoiding road debris is mindless. When I ride my rollers for 1-2 hours, I'm never bored. There's always way too much going on to be bored. I hear some people complaining about how boring riding their dumb trainer is. I don't get it. IMO the way to get maximum performance out of a bicycle is mindful concentration on every detail. One hears monks holding a long Ooooooommmm. The voice does not quaver. That's the result of long mindful practice. A cyclist whose upper body does not move. A cyclist who can ride the fog line and notices what's happening way up the paceline. That's paying attention, same thing.