Old 03-29-22, 09:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, most of the attention in the magazines, industry ad copy, and you tube focus on modern flow trails, jump lines, and Van-Life Enduro Bros on 160mm+ bikes. Braaaaaap!! I find that those kind of trails a lot of fun the first couple times I do them (I don't do large jumps), but then they get old. But I think it has more wide appeal to new folks.

But the reality on the ground is that a lot of the riding I see is still on old school trails. They are out there if you want them. Its just not what is getting built new much these days. Personally, all my favorite stuff is the old school trails, and most of my favorite rides to date are ones that existed when I started riding in the 90s, and were built before MTB was a thing. I'm going on an MTB trip to the Roanoke VA area in a few weeks and then Pisgah in June. It all mostly old-school stuff. Some really brutal and technical climbs.

I'm not sure where you get that climbing is frowned upon. That is how most MTBers still get to the top. I mean if you hang out on the Downhill forums sure, they are not pedaling those things up hills.