View Single Post
Old 03-30-22, 09:03 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 116 Posts
I started riding fixed in 95 on a Schwinn Paramount track bike I got in trade for a Miyata Country Runner. Schwinn was too big for me and geared too high, so I sold it for a phenomenal fee. Fast forward 10 years to 05. I was recovering from my first of 3 knee surgeries and decided to quit Ultra distance riding. I got really bored. I decided to slap together an old Miyata hybrid frame as a fixed gear bike and I was hooked. As mentioned earlier, Zen like, being one with the bike. I ended up building several, best one being a Miyata(There's a theme here) Carbon Tech 3000.

Not one to be content with just one speed on a fixed gear bike, I began farting around with multi speed fixed gear hubs. I built several 2 speeds out of AW hubs, one 3 speed from an FW, and a 2 speed from an ancient Bendix.The SA hubs also provided a neutral position if you just wanted to stand up and get your butt off the saddle on a long ride.I commuted year round on the 2 speed Tetanus Express for 8 years.

I ride the 3 speed fixed Super Course almost exclusively now but am currently redoing a Gitane Mexico as a single speed fixed gear as I've moved to a place with few hills.

Likes For bikamper: