View Single Post
Old 03-31-22, 09:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm waiting for a software built to get done, so here's my assessment thus far in the competition:
  1. Brain bleed - 10 Wheels
  2. Broken neck; C1 C2 fuse - bruce19
  3. Broken neck; C3 fracture - downtube42
  4. Lots 'O shattered stuff - Ghostrider62
  5. Broken elbow x 2 - Retro Grouch
  6. Broken elbow - Juan Foote
  7. Split collar bone - indyfabz
  8. Pulverized ankle bone - Rolla
  9. Broken Shoulder - jaxgtr
  10. Torn ligaments and tendons - Lambkin55
  11. AC separateions and collased lung - JohnDThompson
  12. AC Joint Separation - Rdmonster69
  13. AC Joint Separation - Cornchips
  14. AC Joint Sprain - rumrunn6
  15. Broken ribs & dislocated clavicle - mstateglfr
  16. Cut elbow - Daniel4
  17. Road rash - delbiker1

Feel free to debate my unilateral and uninformed results.
To finish up the story. I had to cancel the build (which takes 45 minutes on a good day) because a dude on another software team (those idiots) had a last minute check-in for our code base that just had to be in this release. After his check-in I force started a build, then sat and twiddled my thumbs for a while. Eventually I got curious, did a dif, and looked at his code. Oh. My. God. Ugly code. Gawdawful, with magic numbers, bypassing interfaces, grabbing unfiltered data from an input channel. All that was true and horrid and totally expected given the source.

But, to tie in to the thread. I was looking at his new code where a variable was declared static and initialized inside a function, yet subsequently used in that function as if it was initialized globally. So I pinged the guy, with a big "DUDE YOU BROKE THE BUILD". In parallel I googled how static declarations work in C, because I had a sneaking suspicion I've forgotten more than I realize. Oh how right I was on that point. A static variable initialized inside a function has global scope in the module and is initialized only once. Well crap. I used to know that.

I've had one too many cycling concussions to be allowed anywhere near code. So add to the list, hit my head and broke my brain. That's why I'm the manager now.
Likes For downtube42: