View Single Post
Old 04-02-22, 07:20 AM
EPOisDope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, since my frame is now out-of-warranty, I've searched for someone who can re-face the BB on my frame, but nobody seems willing to try since it is a carbon frame. I'm considering getting a Hambini 24mm BB, which would also mean that I'd have to get a new 24mm Rotor Aldhu crank / spindle since the one I currently have is 30mm. The reason I'm considering the Hambini BB 24mm is two-fold:

1) The bearings in the BB cups for the 30mm spindle are probably smaller and tighter. Case in point is the Rotor steel ITA30 - it doesn't even come with seals, whereas the BSA version does, and I'm assuming that is because they weren't willing to reduce the bearing size to account for the 2mm difference between BSA and ITA. I'm running en Enduro BB right now which DOES have seals, but it is already quite worn after just a few thousand miles, which I'm guessing is because the bearings are simply too small / too tightly packed.

2) With the Hambini BB, theoretically the sleeve between the 2 cups is metal and fits snugly into the 2 cups, which according to his video for another threaded BB style (I want to say T47, but am not sure about that), should help ensure that the crank spindle is aligned with the bearings.

The Hambini BB is very expensive. While someone could argue that it would be cheaper to buy 8 or so Shimano BBs and just change them out every few thousand miles, I'm constantly having to adjust the crank preload right now (using a wavy washer to "auto-correct" preload has at least helped), so I'd like to have a bike that I don't have to noodle with every 3 or 4 rides. Does anyone know of another BB I can try? I love the idea of a BB infinite style press-fit bottom bracket, where both bottom bracket cups are actually threaded together, but the BB design closest to that for italian-threaded frames seems to be the Hambini, which I'm not even sure that I can get in the US.