View Single Post
Old 04-04-22, 06:06 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio
I am almost completely sure it is not allowed however there are some factors that make it practical for riding trails.

Been doing it a while it's not a problem. You are fast enough, quiet enough and subtle enough that it's very difficult to get caught. Law enforcement doesn't frown upon MTB per se (motorized vehicles or illegal hunting YES) because those on bicycles are seen as upstanding people and another set of eyes whose presence discourages other worse, more illegal things.

Also there are very few people out there. Yes now the power companies have patrols in SE MA but all they can do is tell you to get out. This is what other cyclists have told me. Again MTB is not seen as destructive. Police sometimes patrol with their ATV's but only weekends and during daylight hours. I like to ride very early in the AM or at night and nobody is out there then. In order for the cops to come after they need to get their ATV's out they're not going to do that at 8pm or 6am. So a lot of factors have to align to get you in trouble, people out there who don't want you to be there that actually are alerted to your presence, authorities catching up to you in time that you don't duck into some side trails and a general vengefulness almost never seen against cycling. If used as a shortcut or to vary up your riding, you're not out there for hours on end, and you're not making a ruckous it's fine. Look where distribution stations are though as they have cameras, that can lead to issues.
I don't think "not getting caught" equates to "legal".