View Single Post
Old 04-07-22, 02:35 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
In my experience, if the caliper arms are stiff enough to not flex in use, the seat stays will flex instead.
Yeah, this is basically what brake boosters exist to address.

I have not seen the need for compressionless housing, as it might lessen the already twitchy modulation of a bike equipped with linear pull brakes.
Avoiding compressionless housing is like deliberately leave air in the lines when setting up hydraulic discs. Flex causing post-engagement movement in the brake lever muddies the waters around the sensation of lever pressure, and can make the point of engagement harder to feel. I actually think that v-brakes have more to gain from low-compression housing than almost any other kind of mechanical brake, because the high mechanical advantage leaves them prone to mushiness.

The idea of de-tuning the braking-power-versus-lever-force curve makes theoretical sense from a certain angle, but I don't think it applies to the circumstance that most cycling equipment is in. Maximal control can't happen if your finger can't easily distinguish force levels, but it can also be compromised by having to put real effort into a squeeze. And bicycle brakes almost never end up on the former side of that curve: for most riders, very little commonly-available equipment is too powerful for a well-fit one-finger action.

Last edited by HTupolev; 04-07-22 at 02:38 AM.