View Single Post
Old 04-07-22, 06:10 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Triplizer by BF's own jonwvara. Properly designed and well made. Check it out (and buy it) here: https://www.redclovercomponents.com/..._42_Teeth.html

Or if you're handy and have some time to waste, you can make your own from a Stronglight 99 chainring, as I did here:

There are downsides, like needing hard-to-find 86 mm BCD granny rings, versus common 74 mm rings like Jon's uses. Mine only goes down to 28t, where Jon's can take a 24t. Mine takes a couple hours of your time, versus Jon's that's just a few clicks and a Visa card away..

Seriously, just buy Jon's. But if you're in love with the idea of an all-vintage-Stronglight solution that could have been pieced together in 1972, then maybe have a look at my Flickr here where I give more info, including which counterbore tool to buy. PM me with any questions not covered there, but honestly if you have to ask, you may not be up for it. You need as a minimum a good bench vise, hacksaw, drill press, files, just the right type of Stronglight 99 ring (or 99 bis, as in the photo), and a very specific counterbore that almost no one has. Lots of sawing, filing counterboring and polishing to make it look like this.

Mark B
That is spiffy, Mark--if I had thought of that myself, I doubt that Red Clover Components would exist, since my initial modest goal was just to have one triplizer to install on the Stronglight 93 on my Raleigh Gran Sport. But once I had one of them in hand and it worked so well, it became my destiny to move on to world domination of the prodigious obsolete-BCD-triplizer market.

To the OP, how would you compare the ride on 650B wheels to that on the originbal 700s (or 27s, not sure which it would have had)?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara: