View Single Post
Old 04-08-22, 11:05 PM
SamSam77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess it is not so much that I did not anticipate the flaking off of the wax; I just did not expect it to be so fast and complete in the areas that mattered. I think I was expecting it to flake off on the outside but get 'stuck' / clogged on the inside, but clearly that was wrong.
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is a big reason why various additives are added, to reduce the flaking off and extend the life span of the lube.
I was under the impression that the additives were more for optimizing the coefficient of friction than for changing the 'flakiness' of the wax. For example, adding PTFE/Teflon or 2D materials for improve (reduced) friction, beyond the what the wax provides on its own.

Forget the rain for a moment, if the wax is flaking off so quickly then how can people claim to be getting so many miles on their waxed chains before having to re-wax or, in the long run, eventually replace the chain? I though I was reading that one could go at least as long, if not longer, before having to re-wax a chain as is possible with drip-on lubricans? And claims that the chain's total lifetime could be even longer still? In my case, with rain, the problem became clear very quickly but if I had a few dry weeks, or I was living in the south west, and got no rain then I could have kept riding on the chain and never got/saw the rust. But the wax would still have flaked off, and then I would have bare metal-on-metal, which is not good, though perhaps not much road dirt accumulation. How then, spelger, do you get the results you do with plain paraffin? You don't have adhesion issues?

Typically, I use liquid 'oil' lubricant (Finish Line), though obviously its big drawback is that it accumulates dirt very easily even if it can reflow back into the nooks and crannies of the chain and can resist water better. Although I try to take good care of my chain, keeping it clean and monitoring its elongation, I never get the longevity out of it that I would like and I am frequently burning through a chain + a cassette pair, twice a year. I get a fair amount of rain in my area, especially in the spring, and I thought that the hydrophobic wax would be something good to try. I have also used drip-on "dry lube" waxes, that go on wet but then dry as a thin solid film. I like the dirt-resistant properties but I don't feel like it works quite as well, plus it will wash off easily, so I have a relatively short window during the year to use it.

Originally Posted by SalsaShark
If you want a good all-weather minimal maintenance chain, get a KMC Eco ProTeq rustbuster.
I have tried this chain before and I agree, it's great and does a nice job resisting rust. That's actually my preferred chain to use but it was out of stock recently when I needed to buy a new chain this time, so I had to go with the must less resistant 9.93 model. Even with the ProTeq chain, though, I won't get a full year out of it or, if I do, it will wear the cassette down along with it (even if I don't exceed 0.5% wear as measured using a gauge).