Old 04-09-22, 07:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Others already covered it, the harshest use case for a preparation best used for a dry and pretty clean environment. Due to no additives. You need additives for that.

Next up is for dustier environments, or messy ones, I feel folks make the same chain lube violation they do with drip lube.......excess. Excess catches dirt and debris. When the chain comes out and cools, and you're done, it shouldn't look like you slathered the chain with dried up Vaseline chunks. I lay the hot chain on some paper towels and then press paper towels on the other chain plates facing up. Just getting the excess off. Personally not having that flaky excess on there has helped with the chains not picking up as much dirt.

Next up, if you're dead set on doing this in a wet environ, having several chains to pop on and off at the ready helps and also buying chains that have some kind of coating. I buy the gold KMC chains not for the bling bling factor......but because of the coating on them.

I race cyclocross and do this, but I will rotate through chains a lot faster than the clean road bike TT bike chains. But having several chains "ready" and only occasionally needing to crack out the ultrasonic bath and crock pot for wax, it's as fast as the quick link on the chain.
Likes For burnthesheep: