View Single Post
Old 04-10-22, 12:56 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4269 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I don't care how the professionals fuel during a race, because that's only a very small portion of what they do to be able to perform at that level. How they fuel during a race is an extension of how they fuel during their entire career. And not all of them fuel in the same manner, because we're all different, so which professional do you pick to copy?

Furthermore, I don't see professional athletes as a model of health that I want to emulate; don't get me wrong, I love watching the elites just as much as the next guy, but it ends there. These people do not live real lives, they are not as healthy as one might think, based on their performance. I'm sure many of us that are concerned with health are healthier than many professionals, but that's not to say we won't get our ass kicked in a race with them.

This retired professional runner explains it best in this quick 10-minute video. He was one of the fastest 800-meter runners in the world, but he suffered from a lot of health issues. Very interesting look into the world of professional athletes. I'm sure this applies to professional cyclists. How many times have we heard about a rider contracting an illness and having to drop from the Tour?

https://youtu.be/UDArPISBFqM
Strikes me as a complete non-sequitur. How one might fuel for a ride and what one might take as insight from how the pros fuel for a ride, has almost no effect at all on one's overall nutrition and health plans and goals.
Likes For MinnMan: