Old 04-10-22, 08:20 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Anyone else using Silca's new tubeless sealant?

I like Silca's chain lube and I needed more tubeless sealant so I bought some of their new sealant a few weeks ago. Here is the pitch if you missed it. The main claim is it contains recycled carbon fibers to help plug leaks.

I have been using it but have not gotten any flats to test it. But, my rim tape seems to be reaching end of life and it blew out twice (first time I re-taped the one spoke hole, second time I saw the pattern and re-taped the whole rim). Anyway in the process of dealing with this I got to inspect how the sealant was doing. Oddly enough, after several weeks of riding all of the little carbon fibers floating separately in the solution when I poured it in had glommed onto each other in small footballs about 3mm long.. there were only 2-3 of these balls in the whole tire and that was where all the carbon fiber was. Anyway I'm not sure this is going to be of much help unless one of the footballs gets into the leak. So, I'm not sure there is any advantage to this stuff, other than perhaps a few hours after you put it in before the footballs are formed. My guess is several hours of tire rotation causes these fibers to glom onto each other.

Has anyone else tried out this stuff? I'm going to keep using it but not sure it will be any better than my old stuff (Panaracer).