Old 04-20-22, 10:48 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Well, there's always the Numb Hands post.

Yes, move the saddle so that you are in better balance, as above in post 3, though do not adjust reach with saddle position. Get saddle position first, then adjust reach with the stem. Longer reach reduces hand pressure as long as torso angle is not changed. That's because hand pressure generates a torque about the hip joint. Thus for the same torque, more reach = less force, plus more reach is a better shock absorber.

Whether one has the upper body and arm musculature to support even light hand pressure is another story. Pushups every morning is what I do and therefore a great idea. Elbows out is not good. Try to keep your forearms pointed fore-and-aft. Less wind resistance - it does make a difference. Your arms will get used to it if they haven't already.

Glove padding is individual, though in general look for gloves which advertise having ulnar nerve relief. However hand position makes more difference than gloves. Note the reach, hand and arm positions in the Numb Hands comment. Look like those folks. In particular, note the hand positions in the bottom 2 photos, see how the top of the hand is almost vertical. One can ride like that forever. However in the bottom photo, see how the wrists are bent unnaturally. One can fix that and improve aero by rotating the hoods so they point slightly inward. You'll like that.

I posted a bike fit primer here: How can I fitting my bike
Adjust your current bike in that fashion and ride it for a few 100 miles before deciding you need a different bike.