View Single Post
Old 04-21-22, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Srewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3627 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,611 Posts
Sometimes the boot spins on the axle, sometimes is stationary. Depends on the relative friction between it and either the axle or hub shell. When it stays put on the axle sometimes it will emit a squeak/eek like sound, we call that a seal clapping. A drop of oil at the interface shuts that up.

I have to admit not remembering any of this type of external non drive side seal having enough friction to be noticed with a wheel spin down, and a lot (as in a real lot) of current bikes have this feature in one form or another.

I do wonder about where the friction is really coming from. Have you removed the boot and reinstalled the wheel to see "in the field" how the wheel feels? Could the hub bearing pre load be increasing enough, from the QR skewer's force, to bind the bearing when the wheel is secured but not when the wheel is out of the frame? Andy

BTW keep an eye out on the CR list for a Buffalo area ride with some friends soon. I hope Keith can show up.