Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Hate to say this but they are even better than the Cool Tool. I have several including a Bob Seals original.
Wow, amazing to hear that confession I see the occasional Cool Tool on fleabay at seemingly outrageous prices They are amazing in design and function, or so I imagine!

On the fixit sticks I went with the MTB (or so I think it is called) set. The first thing I did is to jet the plastic holder. While a neat design, it takes up too much room in the pouch. I keep the bits either in the sticks (very positive magnetic lock in) or in one of those little plastic cup row doo-hickeys I had in the toolbox. The best addition to the pouch is a Craftsman 1/4" mini thumb ratchet. It is thin, durable (within most reason) and often fits in where there is only room for the ratchet and a bit. The only (provisionally) useless piece is the Torx-25. Ofc I don't have that on my old MTB, but I keep it around in case someone else needs it. I have a pair of 2" magnetic extensions added, and a combo 8/10 mm box wrench (all the nuts on my bike accessories are either 8/10). The only thing missing, bit-wise, is/was an 8mm bit for my pedals. Funny how hard it was to find one, but blamazon had a 1/4" socket (mated to an 8mm bit) arrangement that takes little room, even with the hex-to-socket tool box extension needed. All of that fits relatively flatly into one side of the pouch.

On the other side of the pouch is their tire lever attachments (already used and as good, or better, than the Pedro's they replaced) as well as the super-clever chain breaker (designed to work with the fixit sticks, ofc). I added a pair of Craftsman mini diagonal pliers (mostly for cutting tie wraps and light duty) and a pair of mini-, curved, forceps for FOD tire removal. My final addition will be a pair of mini-pliers (languishing somewhere in the American side of the supply chain right now) because you occasionally need to grip something. Two tubes and a Rema patch kit sit under the saddle, with the tool pouch, and I haven't met a need they couldn't handle yet. Any greater need is most likely out of my capabilities and require transportation to the bike shop

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 04-22-22 at 07:46 AM.