Old 04-26-22, 03:51 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
I had to repair a flat tire, took the tire off the rim installed a new tube and payed no attention to the fact that my directional tire was on backwards went on my merry way. The next day as I was riding and it started to rain I had a right hand turn coming up no traffic so I slowly made that turn with water hiding the fact that there was a man hole cover and my front tire was turning, I instantly lost gip in the front tire and instantly went down landing hard on my right shoulder. That is the day I realized that my head is on a swivel so when all of my body weight landed on my shoulder my head kept going with force, bam.
I was in la la land for a few minutes, my shoulder hurt but my helmet saved my bacon. The bike was OK, I on the other hand messed up my rotator cuff, took 2 years before it totally healed. In this case there was to much force to stop my head even if I knew what was about to happen my body stopped very suddenly shoulder first and my head followed. I was not going fast it was raining, I will never ride on the streets without my helmet lesson learned. I will always double check the direction of the tread when mounting tires. It all happened in an instant no helmet and I would have cracked my skull for sure it was a dumb mistake. Might have happened anyway running over a man hole cover that I could not see in the rain but with a directional rain tire on backwards it was guaranteed. Boy my shoulder hurt bad for a long time.
Amen on the helmet. When you go down like that there's no way to hold your head so it won't smack the ground. I tried to keep my head from hitting the pavement once in a similar crash and quickly learned it just wasn't happening. Our heads are too heavy to stop them when they're moving at speed. It might even make matters worse on pulling a neck muscle. I know I've cracked at least two helmets and maybe three.....