View Single Post
Old 05-01-22, 12:16 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Because they're called 'Shimano'. 400,000 miles, yeah? You've never had a job? It sounds like you don't use integrated shifters and you're just ranting about your own experience. If you'd seen the huge number of broken/frayed cables I've seen and replaced your opinion might be a little different. Cables also frayed and broke in Campy Ergo shifters for years and years, thousands of riders have been poked in the thumb by a frayed cable next to the thumb button. Unfortunately it's the price we pay for cool integrated levers. Because this happens with such regularity there is definitely reason to change cables as preventative maintenance.
When I was doing 12,000 miles a year work did take a bit of a back seat. But was still working forty hours. Why the ad hominem? Some of us like to ride bikes even when not paid for it. Some of us were riding decades before “cool” integrated shifters existed.

You are replacing cables weekly and you want to insist this is a good design.

When I used Ergo for twelve years never had to replace a cable. Used same shifters and cables on three different bikes. Gave those shifters and cables away and so far as I know they are in use another ten years later. Current owner does have a lot of bikes and rides them rather gently.

Both bikes ridden so far today have no shifters and don’t even coast. Is that cool? I have no idea what would qualify as cool. It works or it doesn’t. Parts that can’t be trusted past one week basically don’t work.