cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
What am I trying to get to? The chain and cassette on my 420 are original and quite worn out. I like the bike enough to replace both if it improves performance. As of now shifts tend to be rough and no amount of tuning can fix, chain slips occasionally and so on. I was under the impression that both chain and cassette are "wear items" that need eventual replacement after prolonged use. Bike has been well maintained since I bought it. But since I've never owned a "new" road bike, I was curious if a new budget road bike is money better spent than upgrading a vintage mid-grade model.
Ok, so a new cassette & chain - given the bike vintage - the cassette freehub (on an original wheel?) is likely 'uniglide', which is different from the modern Hyperglide config of freehubs/cassettes.
Check Sheldon Brown website - freewheels/cassettes for that info. All depends on the current rear wheel freehub.
Given the age, and given the durability of the level of chainrings from that era - the chainring is prolly badly worn also. I don't recommend buying 'used' chainrings or cranks for that.
I'd either get a new Crankset for whatever the BB is (prolly Square taper, but needs confirming) and maybe consider an update to a full crankset/BB in a more modern External 124BB setup.
New cranksets can be had for good pricing.
Check your wheels/bearings
And highly recommend NEW cables all the way around if you haven't changed the cables in a year or 2....
Fresh tires appropriate for your riding, will make a big difference - not always the most expensive, often good can be found for affordable pricing.
Use the C & V forum for more particulars you might have questions on.
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: Of course this all requires special tools to DIY. BUT the tools are not expensive and the processes are not complicated, just require a small amount of mechanical skill and patience. The info is easily accessible and broadly available. I always recommend DIY - not only as learning process but also makes the owner more aware of future condition and the 'feel' of proper operation. Patience and taking time, working slow enough to not screw it up.

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-02-22 at 10:36 AM.
Likes For cyclezen: