View Single Post
Old 05-02-22, 04:56 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm assuming that this comment was made with tongue in cheek??

For the most part, it did. Still, most of us have had paint rubbed off of the inboard side of the left chainstay after the axle slipped. This was more of a problem with chromed dropouts. The problem was largely fixed with good quick releases, and serrated locknuts on the hub axle helped maintain a good grip on the dropout too.
A quick photo showing the locknut on a Campagnolo Record hub...

Another issue with horizontal dropouts relates to fenders... having to slide the wheel forward to remove it usually means that the front of the rear fender has to be spaced further out than otherwise needed. Not a functional problem, but it does look goofy.

Steve in Peoria
One reason why I don't like them (besides broken or stuck screws) is that it gets really annoying if you have to fully deflate the tyre to even stand a chance at removing the rear wheel if you use anything resembling comfortable tyres.

That issue gets extra bad when using fenders on bikes like my Batavus Randonneur with its fenders. 35mm with fenders easily fits but those dropouts probably only work with 22mm strings of rubber.

But then again, I was born in the late 80's when both cars, electronics and bicycles started having tighter tolerances.
Likes For JaccoW: