Old 05-05-22, 02:42 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Update, I did the ride this week. It was really good. One point to anyone who sees this thread, at least in early May, water is SCARCE on this ride. None of the water fountains are on yet. I got water from the faucet at the Ranger station restroom on Mt Mitchell. Best I can tell, that’s the only water on the entire ride. I am hopeful they turn on the water fountains once the “season” starts.
Great! Glad you made it. Even in the summer, coming from the Marion side, there is no water with the exception of the Ranger Station or when you get to the top, the small snack bar which is usually not open in early May.

Still, great ride. Now, how was the descent from Mitchell? Hold on to your helmet. That is/was some fun.

If you venture a little south of Asheville, there is some great riding around Lake Lure and Chimney Rock. If open, the Chimney Rock climb is brutal too. Right in the little village of Bat Cave. There are some really crazy climbs around there coming off the BRP or going up to the BRP. I would really like to bike inside the Biltmore. Those roads seem like they would be nice to explore but I am not sure they allow bikes.

john