View Single Post
Old 05-08-22, 03:21 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
NOBODY makes better flaps than ME. I use my retired high rubber boots. They already are the perfect shape and the rubber is thicker where the bolts go. My latest boots are 100% done for now. LOL. Thicker is better, but they are getting thinner. This year I bettered them by gluing a 1/16" plastic piece on the inside to cover the weaved cloth layer and get the form perfect. I put a soup can inside a 14 oz can to set the shape perfect. I can't remember where I found the 1/16" stuff, it's like a thin car mat. I used PL glue thinly on both surfaces and let it dry a while before putting it together. Mask tape to hold it still and plastic to help when squeezing between the cans. Let set 2 days.
Just a layer of contact glue will work good enough to make it easier to wash off dried sand.
All my bikes have these and always did actually. They last a LONG time. The front one is 4 3/4" above ground.
Using a stiff jug is a stupid idea always said when these are talked about.
>> Also note where I put the rear one, in FRONT of the back wheel. It really protects the BB, kickstand, pedals and the chain from drips. It certainly helps that these are 650B wheels. I can ride this thru puddles all day.
I'm also lucky that these are the best fenders ever made. I was just looking at new ones that come on IGH bikes, short flimsy and useless, yup.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-08-22 at 04:43 PM.