Old 05-10-22, 02:22 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I just recently switched to tubeless.

I have 16 + wheels between all the bikes, gf bike and extra wheel sets. Is it necessary to break down the wheels, clean out the old sealant and start over again every six months?

If so I might just go back to tubes. ha-ha
I think you have to change your routine if you are all tubeless. I don't inflate or even set up the spare wheels unless I'm about to use them. , I use the Panaracer Smart Sealant, which uses walnut shells as hole fillers. When the latex dries up, it can leave the walnuts stuck with the residue, which is harmless but may leave the residue stuck in one spot with your spare tires since you don't move them. So I only setup wheels if I want to use them. With my tire changes, say from commute/road to gravel, I switch them out at least once a week so it doesn't really dry out.
Depending on where you are, you probably need to top up the sealant every 1-2 months, if you live where stuff dries out fast (usually hot/dry places). If you change tires annually, which I do for my commute/fun bike, then just top up and ride. I don't bother to clean it out unless there's a problem with the tire. I also try to keep the fiber fillers for the new sealant.
Likes For Sardines: