View Single Post
Old 05-16-22, 09:11 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Thanks, everyone!

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Have only done a ~65-miler, myself, and the temperatures weren't catastrophic. We stopped frequently for fluids, and carried much with us. Had a small lunch, at the turn-around point. My big issue with the day was that my riding buddy was a serious amateur competitive cyclist. Keeping up with him was, um, hard. Did fine on the ride, even up through the end of the route, but boy did I pay for it over the next couple of days. (All sorts of little cramped/tight muscle issues.) 100km ain't bad, but still.

Glad to see some folks can still "bring it" on the long stuff. Even if it got a bit sketchy, at spots.
Next weekend is my first double century in quite a while. It's one of the "easier" ones ... only about 8000 feet of climbing. Ordinarily, not big deal, but we'll see. I have a feeling that I am not the man I used to be. lol

Originally Posted by big john
I did a similar route 3 times with the Adobo club but they always did it in winter. Like you, I never SAG, just suffer through. The last time I did it with the Adobos the SAG driver rolled up and told me I was the last one on course. I took it to mean everyone else was finished but he really meant I was last on the road. Anyway I got on the truck and when we started catching up to other riders I had him let me out so I could ride the rest of the way. That was the year some pros did the ride. They passed me on Pine Canyon and their line looked like a machine.

Ken told me Francis is not riding anymore and has gained weight.
Yea, the old Tour de Francis route! I don't think they have done that since they had to cancel it because of nonsense Forest Service objections. I've done the route a few times before, and even in some pretty good heat, but it really fried me last weekend. Molly and I saw Francis a month or two ago on GMR. He has gained some weight, but he was still out there riding. By chance, I wore my 2009 FC jersey and he had too! I have a pix of us somewhere.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
great share, no shame, you guys sound like really strong & experienced riders. I've wondered about ppl who have had tragic outcomes & what choices could they have made, that would have saved them. not that you were "on there verge", on this day. sometimes it's harder to make the right decision. sometimes heat exhaustion can affect decision making. sounds like your organized group is well organized
It's a good group of friends. Most of that group have done a lot of radonneuring and double centuries. And were really supportive of one another. Honestly ... honored to be part of that group.

One of the guys said that he was feeling chills at the top of the last climb ... and thought it was the beginnings of heat stroke. OMG ... that is nothing to play around with. Frankly, I was surprised that I was clear headed enough to call it quits.

Likes For Biker395: