View Single Post
Old 05-23-22, 02:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I have owned a Peloton since 2020. My wife rides it. She loves it - does 4-5 classes a week and has been doing that regularly as a substitute to a monthly gym membership (which we both dropped in 2020). My wife has zero interest in riding bikes outside, even for casual/transportation, but definitely not for fitness.

I, on the other hand, have used "her" Peloton bike exactly twice. I actually kind of like it and the classes are a good way to get in a high intensity short workout, but I would much rather ride on Zwift (when I'm not riding outdoors). The Peloton bike is pretty nice and has a huge screen, but I find it frustrating that there's not more adjustments for the fit. I can raise/lower the seat and handlebars, but the only fore/aft adjustment is the seat, so there's no real way to adjust for reach, which feels way too short for me. I prefer the "virtual simulation" environment of Zwift, but I'm no stranger to spin classes and did many "back in the day" at my local gym as a way to stay in cycling shape during the winter, and I find the Peloton spin classes to be pretty good for what they are.

The Peloton was $1900. It's not cheap, but in the context of bike purchases I do not find this cost to be outrageous. For comparison, the core of my Zwift setup includes a smart trainer ($900), flat screen TV ($600) and Apple TV ($200). I also spent $300 on a rocker plate which was admittedly unnecessary. In the context of how much I spent on my current carbon fiber bike and carbon fiber wheelset, plus the many purchases of tires, chains, cassettes, computers, various "upgrades", etc I think the Peloton pricing is just fine.

The Peloton subscription cost is $40/mo, which is significantly more than $15/mo for Zwift. The subscription does provide access to a bunch of other classes (yoga, strength training, stretching, etc) that can be accessed from anywhere, and I do frequently use that, so there's some value in it for me there too.

Bottom line - Peloton isn't going to attract serious cyclists. They aren't trying to. Zwift isn't going to attract non-cyclists looking for a Peloton alternative either. They also aren't trying to.
Right. They're only in the same market if you define that market broadly enough.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles